Labels

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Frog Hot Pot

Last night I had dinner at a hot pot restaurant in the city with a few friends. I dont know the regional style of the restaurant, only that it was not Sichuan (it lacked the classic ma & la). The restaurant's two most popular hot pot's are fish and frog. Of course we chose the frog.

the ingredients

mmm...frog

sizzle sizzle

our server making the hot pot sauce. it took her 15 minutes of stirring to turn the sauce from jello to bbq consistency.

The frog meat was very good. However it still had all of the frog bones hidden inside. This is quite common in Chinese cuisine. Unfortunately I was not thinking about the possibility of bones when I took my first bite. By the end of the meal I had developed a strategy to eating the frog meat. The best way to avoid chewing or swallowing bones is to not let them enter your mouth in the first place.

I've had about half a dozen hot pot meals in China. Despite hot pot's excellent flavor, it is one of my least favorite dishes. Hot pot requires a lot of work to get a little food and is usually on the pricey side.

No comments:

Post a Comment