Labels

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A new semester at Siyuan

My whirlwind tour of Southeast Asia has unfortunately come to an end. Returning to freezing cold and unnaturally gray Xi'an was depressing at first. However, since I've returned things have been going my way. Here are a few reasons why this semester will be better than the last:

I. NEW APARTMENT

Last semester I was promised a new apartment when I returned from winter holiday. When I returned, Siyuan made good on that promise and I couldn't be happier. My new apartment is more than twice as big as my old apartment. It has a bedroom and bathroom of the same dimensions as my previous apartment, but it also has a living room, kitchen, and balcony! Here are some pictures:

My kitchen

Full size fridge


The living room. Leather couch and chair

I have a TV


The view from my balcony. I'm thinking about buying a grill...

The bedroom. Much more spacious now that its not the only room I have to live in.

My home office.

Even the closet is bigger


II. NEW TEACHING SCHEDULE

Last semester I was teaching 22 hours/week. That is a total of 6 hours overtime (the contract is 16 hours/week), although overtime is not compensated at a premium as in America. This semester I am teaching 16 hours/week. The best part is that these classes are on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, giving me a four day weekend to do some domestic traveling.


III. TIMELY PAYMENTS

My contract states that I receive payment on the 10th of each month. However, Siyuan had not been to observant of this part of the contract last semester. I was pleasantly surprised to find I had been paid on March 10th for my work in February. This was especially welcome considering how low my funds had sunk over the course of my two month vacation...


IV. THE WEATHER

When I returned to Xi'an in late February it was...painful to be outside. Over the past few weeks the weather has significantly improved. I no longer need to wear my heavy coat outside during the day nor do I need to heat my apartment to keep from freezing. Also it stays light outside until 7:30. This is only the beginning. Soon I will be dressing like I did in Thailand!


DRAWBACKS

The only negative of the semester so far has been the departure of nearly all the other foreign teachers. No longer do I live with Colleen (Canada), Marc (UK), Sebastian & Pilar (US/Chile), Annabelle (Philippines), and Gerard (South Africa). I miss you all. I hope you are enjoying life after Siyuan.

As far as foreign teachers goes, only Chris (US) and I remain. There is a new teacher Matt (US), but he has a family and does not live at the university. I guess I will be spending a lot of my free time trying to meet new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment