Labels

Saturday, September 10, 2011

What to expect at the Chinese grocery store

I have been to several grocery stores in my few weeks of living in China. For everyday items I go to the local store on campus. Once a week I join the other foreign teachers on a trip to Metro, a supermarket that carries many hard to find western items. Today I ventured into the city to Vanguard, by far the largest supermarket I've been to. Between these stores I can get most everything I need. I also get the chance to see things I never imagined would be for sale at a grocery store, let alone purchased or consumed. Below are some of the more unique items I have run across so far.

SNACKS

Bite-sized crabs. Still in the shell of course.
Chicken feet. Comes in red and white.

Chicken wing and chicken heart. No cooking or refrigerating necessary.

Seasoned quail eggs.

Whole fish in light sauce.

Smaller fish in light sauce.

Crispy fish skeleton.
Corn jelly. Individually wrapped and shaped like corn.


THE MEAT DEPARTMENT

Several cuts of pork. Bottom middle is pork ear.

Chicken is a black and white issue in China.

You can also opt for unpackaged chicken.

This was the only frog left in the tank. About half the size of the chickens.

PRODUCE

I dont know what this fruit is, but its the size of a watermelon and covered in thorns.

Black fungus? Do you mean mushroom or...

Dragon fruit.
MISC

This toilet paper doesnt quite live up to its name.

America is renowned for her Ginseng Buccal Tablets.

Chinese products often have english on their packaging. This one reads "CHINES FOOD: This wife cake  has carefully produced and crafted with proper condition and enjoy the finest things"

1 comment:

  1. just for the record it's durian and it's hella tasty and smelly

    ReplyDelete