Labels

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Return to China

After leaving the country a year and a half ago, I find myself in China once again. What am I doing here exactly? Well, thanks to the generosity of  the Cornell International Institute for Food, Agriculture, and Development and the Cornell Institute for Public Affairs, I am here to write a case study and consult for a mid sized ceramics and poly-resin manufacturer in Quanzhou. The consulting gig will last for two weeks, but my consulting team and I arrived in country a week early to get in some quality leisure/bonding time. 

Last night I celebrated the New Year in China for the second time. We started the evening with a few drinks at a friend's apartment before braving the epically crowded Guangzhou subway to get to the city's new bar street. We managed to get a beer tower seconds before the clock struck midnight. The night was filled with many small misadventures and lasted a few hours longer than we wanted due to our inability to get a cab. Eventually we were able to find transportation back to our hotel:

Tuk tuk anyone?
Happy New Year


GUANGZHOU

We are staying in Guangzhou, China's third largest city. It is the center of Cantonese culture (the city used to be called Canton by westerners). I'm really happy to be staying here because it is a part of China that I did not get to visit on my last stint in China. Also, its very warm (72 degrees is a welcome change from the weather in upstate). 

View from our hotel room

Family photo

No comments:

Post a Comment