Labels

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Muslim quarter of Xi'an

Yesterday I ventured into the city for the second time. This time I went deeper into the old city to see some of the more famous sites in Xi'an. At the center of the city is the Bell Tower and Drum Tower. It costs 40 Yuan to see both towers, and for an additional fee you can ring the bells or beat the drums. I decided I would save these monuments for another trip.

The underpass beneath the bell tower. The halls are lined with vendors selling souvenirs. 
North of the Bell Tower is the famous Muslim quarter of Xi'an. The Hui people (chinese muslims) are the most visible and famous minority in Xi'an, despite there being only 30,000 in the city. The Muslim quarter is know for its narrow streets lined with vendors and delicious street food.

The entrance gate to the Muslim quarter
The streets of the Muslim quarter
While in the Muslim quarter I bought a new wallet and sampled fried quail egg and pear tea. I stopped into a restaurant for dinner where I ordered a dish that Xi'an is famous for. I'm not confident I can spell its chinese name, but it is essentially bread and lamb soup. When you order the dish, you are given two disks of tough bread which you break up into little pieces into a bowl. When you are done your server takes your bowl and fills it with broth, noodles and lamb. The broth is very flavorful and is absorbed by the bread. The dish is served with chili paste and pickled garlic on the side.

Lamb and bread soup, side of pickled garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment